So I have a plan today to go to the movies, and I must admit, my mouth is already watering thinking about the buttery popcorn and nachos I can get there. Movies and popcorn go together like peas and carrots or peanut butter and jelly, as evidenced by the seemingly interminable line at the concession stand every time I go. I recently discovered the history of this custom here.
But sometimes, (just sometimes) I really wish there was something else to choose from. Something of substance, perhaps, or something even (gasp) a little bit healthy. So here is my list of things that might be nice to have. And to be clear, I know there are a vast number of theaters that have whole restaurants and bars inside them, so I'm not talking about those. I'm talking about the regular ol' concession stand movie theatre. Here goes.
1. Cookies. I see very few cookies. And I love cookies.
3. Apple slices
4. Cheese plates. Fruit and meat would be nice too.
6. Soup. Sometimes it's cold in those auditoriums, and you can drink it from a cup. Easy.
7. Shrimp cocktails Or really shrimp anything. Just shrimp.
8. Donut holes. Not donuts. Just the holes.
9. Funnel cake
10. Things wrapped in bacon on a toothpick. (i.e. shrimp, potatoes, dates, more bacon, whatever)
14. Cheese straws
15. Crab cakes (little ones, with a dipping sauce)
16. Stuffed mushrooms
17. Deviled eggs
19. Pigs in a blanket
22. Potato Skins
23. Potato cakes
24. Jalapeño Poppers (seriously, why is this not already on the menu?)
25. Juices and other non-soda beverages
26. Hushpuppies (I'd really like to see these more in restaurants, too. People outside the South don't know what they're missing.)
I think that's a good start. What would you love to see on the menus? Gotta go, I have movie popcorn to eat!